1300 158 440

Work in Australia

Travelling Nurse Jobs

National Nurses Plus specialises in placing casual nursing staff in aged care facilities and residential aged care facilities throughout Australia.

Are you interested in working as a  nurse in Australia?

Our friendly staff will assist you to work as much or as little as you like, helping you to maximise your time in Australia; and balance your work and leisure time effectively.

Registered Nurses (RN’s), Endorsed Enrolled Nurses (EEN’s) and Assistants in Nursing (AIN’s) are in high demand in Australia, and National Nurses Plus can provide you with casual work to fund your working holiday.

Overseas Nurses working in Australia

If you are an overseas nurse and are keen to work in Australia, there’s a huge number of jobs around and nurses continue to be in high demand. There are temporary, part-time, full time and casual agency positions in Aged Care.

Working Holiday in Australia?

The Working Holiday Visa is a popular option for young people aged 18 to 30 and a great way to see Australia and earn some supplementary income during your visit. This visa is available for passport holders from those countries with which Australia has a reciprocal agreement. Working Holiday Makers can travel for twelve months in Australia and work for up to six months with each employer.

How do I get a visa to work in Australia?

You must be under 45 years of age to make an application for a General Skilled Migration Visa, so if time is of the essence ensure you don’t delay your decision too long! If you have never been to Australia, you may simply want to see what it’s like before making the big decision to migrate permanently. You can do this by applying for a working holiday visa. Visit Australian Immigration & Visas to find out more.

Nursing Registration

National Registration has become available to all Registered and Enrolled Nurses since July 2010. Whilst Western Australia is awaiting legislation changes, nurses registered in all other states and territories can now automatically work across the country.

Unfortunately the initial registration process can be lengthy (6 weeks – 4 months) so we suggest that you contact the Australian and Midwifery Board as soon as possible to get an application form. The contact details for the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Board are
For information on whether your registration is directly transferable to an Australian registration you may want to access information on The Australian Nursing Council’s website www.anmc.org.au

Who is eligible for registration?

Training completed outside Australia, excluding New Zealand

If you undertook your initial nurse training/undergraduate degree in any of the following countries you may be eligible for direct entry onto an Australian nursing board register.

  • United Kingdom
  • Ireland
  • United States of America
  • Canada
  • Republic of South Africa
  • Singapore
  • Hong Kong
  • Netherlands (HBO programs)

Please note: All nurses and midwives who are applying for registration in Australia must formerly prove their English Language Proficiency. In some circumstances, proof of English Language Proficiency will be waived – for example nurses who have trained and/or worked in the UK, Ireland, USA or NZ.

For more information visit your required nursing board website via the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency

Above information obtained from the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council on www.anmc.org.au.

Training completed in New Zealand

Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition

Nurses who have current authority to practise as a registered nurse or midwife or enrolled nurse in New Zealand may be able to apply for recognition with Australian nursing boards under the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act, 1997 (Commonwealth). This will provide direct entry onto an Australian nursing board register.

Click here to read our latest blog on the travelling nurse.

Share This
Skip to content